One thing we as a web design company come across quite often are small business owners who feel that their website is underachieving. 90% of the time these individuals are correct and the other 10% of the time the owners just have too high of expectations (which isn’t a bad thing).
As the leading San Diego Web Design company, we decided to run a case study to see if we could better solve the problem that many business owners come to us with. We found a few websites that many owners claimed were underachieving and basically ripped them apart into multiple levels. We did this so we could see which factors had the biggest influence or cause on a website not performing up to its standards. Well, it clearly showed us that there isn’t just one thing that determines the performance of the website, but a lot of various things that can have a hampering effect on it.
Design. Is the design of the website something of the ancient 90’s or is it something modern and exuberant? Design has a key element on whether your website is successful or not. If someone comes to your website and feels at home with the design, the layout, and the style….they are more likely to be interested in your company just because they like the “packaging” of it.
Grammar. Believe it or not, a lot of people out there do care about the way you spell, punctuate, and describe things. Do it crudely and your website rankings will hurt. If you can’t spell things correctly or organize your thoughts very well on your website, users will get bored, unhappy, or just not take you seriously!
Errors. It’s always funny when Yahoo or Amazon has an error page pop up, but for them it’s okay. They have millions of pages to worry about whereas you only have maybe 10-15 pages, so if your pages have errors or aren’t coming up correctly….you better hope none of your prospective customers see it! Otherwise, they will be running for the hills.
Get To The Point. Something many people have trouble doing is getting to the point. If your website is going to be selling “Shampoo”….then SELL your shampoo. Talking about the way the shampoo is developed, or the owner who has developed, or when it was founded is all nice to know but it’s not selling your product. If I want shampoo, I don’t care when you discovered this product, I just want to see the benefits of using this shampoo and the price!
Consistency. If your website has frames that are “rounded”, then every frame in every portion of your website should be “rounded”. If you have all your pages showing an offset gray tone in the background, then keep that gray tone in every single portion of your website. If you keep changing things around or are just not consistent, your potential customers will find it annoying and quite often just leave!
There are a lot of elements of your website that you can control that can really help determine whether your sales are higher or lower for a given month. With a website, this allows you to have instant control and play around with features and different factions. Unlike a store, where playing around with the “store” costs a lot of money, on a website you can mess around with designs, layouts, concepts, and captions as much as you want!
If you really want to raise your performance to the highest level possible, do different kinds of studies on your website. See what various combinations show your success the greatest amount of success on a given month and which things don’t fair so well with your customers! This is how you will ultimately have the most optimal website.